- Fire Department
- About Us
The Carthage Fire Department's mission is to provide public safety through quick and professional responses to all emergencies with competent, trained firefighters.
The Carthage Fire Department provides emergency services to city residents with our Full-Time firefighters. Our personnel provides fire suppression, fire prevention, and emergency medical services from two fire stations. Locations are in downtown Carthage and the southwest portion of the city.
All of our firefighters are very dedicated professionals who train a minimum of 16 hours per month using their training to respond to emergency assignments and are able to perform their duties with modern equipment. We consider ourselves a very professional and progressive department that places us in the ranking with other elite departments throughout the country.
We continually look for ways to improve our department and therefore welcome any comments or suggestions anyone might have with regard to our department.
City of Carthage Open Burning Regulations
Regulations for burning are established to prevent fire damage resulting from open burning activates that get out of control, prevent the discharge of pollutants into the atmosphere, and protect others from hazardous smoke conditions.
The Fire Department must be notified prior to any burning by calling 417-237-7100.
Regulations in Accordance with Section 10-2 of the Carthage City Code
- Open burning of yard waste is allowed provided it originates and is burned on the same premises and unless a permit by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources is issued which supersedes these regulations.
- Yard waste must consist of tree limbs, leaves, brush, or untreated and unpainted wood wastes
- Open burning is permitted between the hours of 7 am to 10 pm.
- The Fire Department MUST be notified prior to any open burning
- Fires in approved containers may be no less than 15 feet from any structure
- Fires not in containers must be no less than 25 feet from any structure
- Fires must be no larger than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high
- Fires larger than the designated size must be no less than 50 feet from any structure and require approval from the Carthage Fire Department
- Fires must be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished
- A fire extinguisher with minimum 4-A rating, charged water hose, or other approved extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate utilization
- Fires may not be burned on any improved street, sidewalk, or alley
- Fires may not cause a hazardous condition of any kind
- Fire may not be burned during the time that a burn ban is issued
- Fire Department personnel have the authority to order the extinguishment of any fire not within regulations.
View the Fire Department Application.