The McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital Trust Grant Application
The McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital Trust was created in 2016 when voters approved a proposal to sell Carthage's city-owned hospital to Mercy as part of an agreement signed soon after the Joplin tornado in 2011. Mercy leased the hospital from the city for a 50-year term and took over management in 2012 with the provision that it be given a chance to go to voters and ask to buy the hospital within five years.
In 2016, voters said yes, and Mercy paid the city just over $20 million, which was placed in the trust to be managed "for the health and welfare of the citizens of the Carthage, Missouri Metropolitan Area," according to the ordinance that created the trust.
McCune-Brooks Hospital History
1890 to 1910s
In late 1892, a branch of a nationwide charitable organization known as Faithful Circle of King's Daughters was organized for the purpose of raising funds for the construction of a Carthage community hospital. During this organization period, Dr. Robert F. Brooks established a trust that following the death of himself and his sisters all of his property would be converted to cash to finance the construction and maintenance of a hospital for Carthage. During this, a non-profit corporation was formed, known as the Carthage Hospital Association. In 1902, an anonymous gift was made to the Association in the amount of $10,000 which was to be specifically used for the construction of a hospital. Later it was learned that Mrs. Lizzie A. McCune left these funds as a memorial to her son, Dr. T.E. McCune, who was an associate of Dr. Brooks. With the gifts from Dr. Brooks and Mrs. McCune acting as a major impetus, the Carthage Hospital Association contracted for a hospital facility to be constructed near the corner of Centennial and Forest. The first patient was admitted to the Carthage Hospital on May 1, 1907.
In the early 1920s, it was apparent that the Carthage community's need exceeded the Carthage Hospital's 14-bed capacity; and a campaign was launched to finance a larger, more modern structure. In 1924, John C. Guinn made a $75,000 contribution for the purpose of erecting a new fireproof hospital at a cost of no less than $150,000. An additional $75,000 was matched by the Carthage community following a bond election and the City Council of Carthage by ordinance named the future hospital the McCune-Brooks Hospital after Dr. Robert F. Brooks and Dr. T.E. McCune. The first patient was admitted to the new McCune-Brooks Hospital on November 4, 1929.
By the late 1940s, the hospital had once again exceeded available space; and it became apparent that an addition would be necessary. In 1955 a 27-bed wing was opened and was named the Fanny Peterson Memorial Wing after Miss Fanny M. Peterson, R.N., who served as hospital superintendent at McCune-Brooks Hospital from its inception until 1947.
1960 to 1970s
During the early 1960s, the need for hospital facilities had exceeded the institution's capacity and a project for a 52-bed, two-story addition was undertaken and completed in 1964.
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, McCune Brooks Hospital needed rather extensive upgrades, and a bond issue was passed in 1972 for the purpose of renovating and modernizing the facility. The construction program was complete on February 7, 1975, and included modernization and updating of ancillary facilities and surgical and obstetrical departments.
Again in 1975, it became apparent that the present dietary facilities would require modernization, and a project was undertaken to improve those facilities. A new addition, which included a modernized and expanded kitchen facility and dining room, was completed in October of 1976.
In 2016, voters approved the sale of the hospital to Mercy Medical for just over $20 million, which was placed in the trust to be managed for the health and welfare of the citizens of the Carthage, Missouri Metropolitan Area.
McCune Brooks Trust Grant Application
Grant applications are reviewed by the trustees at regularly scheduled meetings. Should the Trustees choose to approve the application, a recommendation will be given to the City Council for official City of Carthage approval at the following Council meeting. Council meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 6:30 pm at City Council Chambers located at 326 Grant Street.