Building and Construction

Before you build or buy, carefully plan and review your project with the Public Works Department Building Inspectors. Careful planning can help you avoid costly mistakes, unsafe results, and the expense of doing work more than once.

A key element for your protection is to hire contractors that hold the required City license for their trade. You can confirm this information by contacting the Public Works Office.

If you have any questions about your project you can contact the Public Works Department by calling 417-237-7010.

Certificate of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy is typically issued when a construction project is complete and ready for someone to move in or to set up for business.

Codes in Effect

Access the current codes in effect for building.

Commercial Construction

A Commercial Building Permit is required for work that is regulated by the International Building Code 2018, National Electrical Code 2017, and Carthage City Code.

Inspection Schedule

A request for inspection should be made to the Public Works Department 24 hours prior to the inspection.

Other Permits

View other permits required for building in the city of Carthage.

Residential Construction

A Residential Building Permit is required for most building-related projects inside City limits and is regulated by the International Residential Code 2018, 2017 National Electric Code, and Carthage City Code. This includes, but is not limited to, new construction, additions, garages, porches, decks, swimming pools, and any changes in the use of space or the finishing of unfinished space, such as a basement.

Quick Links

Check out links to a site with various information pertaining to Carthage Public Works.