Contractor Licensing

All Contractor Licensing is handled through the Public Works Department. Licenses are issued according to the calendar year.  Renewals for the upcoming year typically start in December.

List of Contractor License Types

  • General Builder (Commercial Build and Remodel)

  • General Contractor (Residential Build and Remodel)

  • Sub-Contractor (Specialty Work: Roofing, Excavation, Siding, Sign, Fence, Demolition, etc.) Also to include businesses that provide a service such as Painting, Parking Lot Sweeping, Trash Removal, Cleaning, etc.

  • Plumbing Contractor

  • Electrical Contractor


If you are uncertain as to what type of Contractor License that you will need, contact the Public Works Department and discuss the nature of your business with staff. Generally, any person or business that is hired to provide a service within the City of Carthage and/or is involved in the practice of construction of any type is required to obtain a Contractor's License.

All Contractor License holders shall file a certificate of insurance certifying public liability and worker's compensation coverage. If worker's compensation coverage isn't required for your business, you must complete an affidavit stating so. Affidavit forms are available at the Public Works Department.

All Contractor License Request forms are to be returned to the Public Works Department located at 623 E Seventh, Carthage, MO 64836. Forms may also be emailed to email Public Works Department. If sent by email type the information "Contractor License Request" in the subject line.

If you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department.