Certificate of Occupancy / Business Licensing

All Business Licenses are issued at City Hall. One of the requirements for licensing is a Certificate of Occupancy. Applications for a Certificate of Occupancy are available at the Public Works Department.

All new businesses are required to make an application for a Certificate of Occupancy. When an existing business changes ownership or when an existing structure's use changes; such as a business moving to a different location, an office space changing to a retail space, a retail space changing to a restaurant, and so forth. Changes necessary to the structure may include but are not limited to the following: parking requirements, accessibility, restrooms, signage, ventilation, fire safety, life safety, etc. Some changes may require additional permitting; such as building construction, plumbing, electrical, etc., and must be obtained accordingly.

Upon completion of the Certificate of Occupancy application, an inspection of the structure is scheduled with the Building Inspector. When the Occupancy classification does not change in a structure an inspection by the Building Inspector may not be required. No building shall be used or occupied and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall be made until the Building Inspector has issued a Certificate of Occupancy.

If you have any questions, contact the Public Works Department at 417-237-7010 and speak with a Building Inspector.